Write a pitch for a data-driven or data-supported article.
Write a short article that uses data as a key source.
Recommended datasets will be available for this assessment. However if you wish to tie it into other projects then please come and discuss it with me.
- The purpose of the pitch is for me to check that you have selected a reasonable dataset
- Try to include a rough chart - even a screenshot of the data that would be good
- If you can't explain why you think this data is newsworthy even though you haven't been able to make a chart yet.
The final accessment will be worth 90% and will be the only graded accessment - the other two are worth 5% and are just completion based.
I recommend you use one of:
- StatsNZ Covid Portal Data
- Police Covid-19 Response
- StatNZ Census 2018 data - on infoshare need to browse - ask for help
You are welcome use another dataset - just discuss it with me first.
For the article you may:
- Pretend any data you use has just been released
- Pretend that no-one else has written anything using that data
- Indicate who you would interview and what questions you would ask them - but not actually do the interview.
I will be accessing the article based on:
- The way you present the data as being newsworthy
- The way you explain the data to the reader
- How well the way you choose to present the data fits with the story
- How well the other sources you bring (or propose to bring) to the story augment the data