If you can only remember one thing, remember Figure.NZ
If you can only remember two things, remember to add
/data.csvto Figure.NZ urls
Work together - explore Figure.NZ and Figure.NZ Places and find some data that surprises you.
- Make a copy of your original data
- Create a login
- Create a chicken chart
Sometimes data jobs like this:
When what you need is:
Then it is time for a reshape (pivot table in spreadsheet land).
- Select just the columns you need
- Decide whether it is long to wide or wide to long
- What's the row column?
- What's the variable column?
- Have we only got one year per row?
- You are journalists - embrace that
- A graph without a source isn't a graph
Using the tools at hand; size, colour, shape, and position to represent (encode) the values in the data.
Pick a couple of charts from Figure.NZ and remake them.